Midlothian Shoppers Get a Taste for Scotch Lamb
Shoppers out and about in Dalkeith this Saturday (23 February) are to be tempted with fresh, tasty Scotch Lamb.
Sheep farmers from the Lothians and the Borders will be visiting the Tesco Hardengreen superstore reminding those visiting that Scottish farmers not only produce some of the best tasting lamb in the world, but it’s being reared right here on their doorstep!
To back up the message to buy local and trust Scottish produce, samples of tasty roast Scotch Lamb will be given out free to hundreds of consumers.
East Lothian farmer Kelvin Pate, from Aikeyside Farm, Haddington said:
“Scotch Lamb is amongst the finest in the world and here in the Lothians and the Borders, we believe we produce some of the best.
“Recent revelations on how some foods are prepared has seen Scottish shoppers turn away from processed meat and put their trust in local produce. We want to thank them for their support, give them a taste of the great food that is being produced on their doorstep and encourage them to put more Scotch Lamb in their basket when doing their weekly shop.
“There may some shoppers that have never tried Scotch Lamb or think that may not like it. We want them to give it a go - it will tickle their taste buds like no other meat.
“Scotch Lamb also ticks all the right boxes for Scottish consumers. It is naturally reared, produced locally, is packed full of nutrition, tastes great and offers great value. It is a product that can meet the demands of all households, whether they need a quick and easy midweek meal or a Sunday roast – Scotch Lamb has it all.
“For us as sheep farmers, the message on Saturday will be simple. We believe we are producing a top quality product to very high standards and by giving the public a taste, we hope they will keep supporting local farmers by buying a bit more Scotch Lamb in the future.
“Consumers already have a tremendous appreciation of what a difficult time this has been weather-wise for farmers in the area. That has brought extra cost and a lot more time and effort on farm getting lambs ready for the market. The good news is that lots of Scotch Lamb will be available in the coming weeks and the support of shoppers and their supermarkets for Scotch at this time would be just the tonic in a difficult year. It would give local farmers a real boost before lambing starts again in the next few weeks.”
Notes to Editors and Media Invite
- On Saturday, 23 February, NFU Scotland members will be giving away samples of roast Scotch Lamb to shoppers at the Tesco Dalkeith Hardengreen Superstore, Bonnyrigg Road, Dalkeith, Midlothian, EH22 3PP from 10.30am.
- Local farmer Kelvin Pate, along with his sheepdogs Muppet and Spike, will be joined by other farmers and will be available for photographs and interviews.
- The supermarket has given its permission for the lamb tasting events.
- The lamb has been bought from local farmers through John Swan’s Auction Mart at Newton St Boswells, slaughtered at Shotts abattoir and will be cooked by local caterer Ben Douglas.
- Consumers will also be given a recipe for Scotch Lamb, provided by Quality Meat Scotland.
- Media are invited to attend. Please contact NFU Scotland Regional Policy Manager Nina Clancy on 07780 441750 or on email@example.com Local farmer Kelvin Pate can be contacted on 07713 252683
Contact Bob Carruth on 0131 472 4006
View from the Top
The referendum has kindled a new passion in politics in almost every Scottish home and work place....
Updated 1 week agoread this blog »