Farmers Encouraged to Apply for Agricultural Dispensation Ahead of Harvest

NFU Scotland is reminding farmers and crofters to apply to Police Scotland for an agricultural dispensation for wide vehicle movements ahead of harvest starting.

The scheme, agreed with Police Scotland following extensive discussions in 2015, means that members with wide vehicles can apply for the dispensation to avoid having to notify police for each individual movement.

Police notification is required if a vehicle, or implement, is over 3m in width and/or projects more than 4m, for example a plough, and is travelling more than five miles, or travelling on any road with a speed limit of less than 40mph.

Farmers or contractors wanting to use this scheme can obtain an application form from Police Scotland or members can get it from NFU Scotland by calling 0131 472 4000. The completed form should be emailed to:

On receipt of this form, if deemed appropriate for a dispensation then Police Scotland will issue a dispensation letter.  This will cover a full year and mean individual notifications are not required unless the width on the original application form is exceeded.

Members wishing to make a one-off movement with a wide vehicle can apply to Police Scotland for a one-off movement, providing at least 48 hours’ notice of the intended movement. Please take into consideration public holidays and weekends when applying for one-off movements as this may delay applications.

NFU Scotland members looking for more information in relation to wide vehicle movement requirements can seek advice from the free NFU Scotland helpline for transport and vehicles.

Jamie Smart, Legal and Technical Committee Chairman, who runs NFU Scotland’s the helpline, commented: “It is vital that NFU Scotland members ensure that if they require a dispensation, they have applied for this and had it returned from Police Scotland ahead of moving vehicles.

“The Union has worked hard to put this in place for farmers and crofters, and it is of benefit to save those carrying out wide vehicle movements time and effort in applying for a dispensation.

“The dispensation document should be carried in vehicles pertaining to it and produced in the event the vehicle is stopped by Police Scotland. We once again thank Police Scotland for their continued support of this scheme.”

Notes to Editors

  • An agricultural dispensation form is available by contacting Police Scotland directly. NFU Scotland members can call 0131 472 4000 to obtain a form. The completed form should be sent to


Contact Ruth McClean on 0131 472 4108

Author: Ruth McClean

Date Published:

News Article No.: 92/18

< Article List


Report Abusive Comment

Comment Content:

Why it offends me (optional):

Have Your Say

No-one has commented on this article yet. Be the first to have your say...

New Comment


Total Pages:
Total Results:
Page Start:
Page Result #:

About The Author

Ruth McClean

Having worked in the communications and journalism industry for the last 11 years, NFU Scotland’s Communications Manager Ruth McClean understands the needs of journalists and has extensive knowledge of the wider agricultural industry. After growing up in Argyll and Bute and working in the area as a reporter for local newspapers for eight years, Ruth joined NFU Scotland in 2013 in her current role. She is also Editor of the Union’s membership magazine the Scottish Farming Leader.

©NFU Scotland • All Rights Reserved • Web design by Big Red DigitalLog in


Contact Us




No Robots:

This form collects and sends the information supplied to NFU Scotland. You can read our privacy policy for full details on how we protect and manage your data.
  I consent to having NFU Scotland collect the above details.